A lot of users use Microsoft Outlook as email client software, as it allows them to use various email accounts from one window. However, some people often get a repeating password error when they try to configure a Gmail account with Outlook. The repeating password error comes into the frame, due to improper IMAP configuration with a Gmail account in Microsoft Outlook. So, if your Outlook cannot connect to Gmail and keeps asking for a password whenever you try to add a new Gmail account, then you are not the only one this error also exists with an already added account.
Here in this article, we have compiled the proven solution to fix repeating password error prompts when setting up Gmail IMAP with Microsoft Outlook. Quickly let’s jump into the solutions.
Reasons To Have Outlook Cannot Connect to Gmail Error
When a repeating password error arises, Outlook keeps requesting users to enter their Gmail passwords even though they have already entered the correct login details. This majorly happens because you are trying to add a Gmail account that has two-step verification enabled. The Windows Mail app can provide the actual Gmail login details, but Microsoft Outlook doesn’t do that. Instead, it shows the native window repeatedly where you have to enter the username and password once.
How to Fix Outlook Keep Asking For Gmail Password Error?
In order to solve this problem, you need to enable IMAP first and then use the Gmail App Password to log in. Although the IMAP settings should be enabled by default, you still must check the settings to ensure everything is functioning right. To do the same follow these steps:
- Open your Gmail account by using your login communicating details, and then click on the settings gear icon visible on top-right corner.
- Once you select Settings it’s time to switch to Forwarding and POP/IMAP
Note: Make sure you select the Enable IMAP option, and the status must be showing IMAP is enabled.
- In the next step, you will require to create an app password. To pursue the steps to create an app password, you need to follow these steps:
- Open your Gmail account.
- Now, click on your profile picture to access My Account
- Once you reach My Account, go to the Sign-in & Security and click on it.
- Scroll down your cursor and find App passwords.
- After that, enter your Gmail account password. Following that, you can select an app or the device from the drop-down menu and then click on the Generate
- After generating a password, you will find a password on your screen immediately.
- Now, use that 16-digit new created password in Outlook instead of the regular one, and hence you got the error rectified.
- After successfully executed these steps, you should not see this error in the future.
In case, you are looking for professionals to do this job for you, then you can contact skilled technicians of Outlook Customer Support Number to fix repeating password error.